How to Change Last Name After Marriage in Texas

how to change last name after marriage

Today, on, I am sharing how to change your last name after marriage. This, of course, is relevant for my girls in Texas.

I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed after researching the steps on how to change a name on a driver’s license, social security card, and passport. You can bet the honeymoon high was over real quick, haha. I was tempted to pay HitchSwitch (or another service company) to do the legwork, but in the end, it was actually not that bad!

Let me be clear on a few things:

  • I live in Texas so I followed Texas requirements.
  • My U.S. passport was issued more than one year ago and it was not expired.
  • I got married out of the country, however, this did not impact the process in any way.

If the above applies to you so far, the below information should guide you on how to change your last name after marriage in Texas.

How to Change Last Name

Texas Driver’s License

To change your last name, you must apply for a replacement (also known as a duplicate) and pay the required fee. Here’s everything you need to know to change your last name:

  • Go to a Department of Public Safety within 30 days of getting married.
  • Provide your original marriage license (copies are not accepted). A non-laminated certified copy of your marriage license is accepted though.
  • Pay the required fee of $11. Driver license offices now accept credit cards as well as cash, checks, and money orders.
  • Take your current driver’s license.

To learn more about the guidelines, I’ll leave the official resource here. Oh, and don’t forget to look cute because they will be taking a new picture.

U.S. Social Security Card

What’s lovely about changing your name on your social security card is that it is free! In order to change your last name on your social security card, you need to:

  • Complete this form.
  • Prove your identity with either a driver’s license or U.S. passport.
  • Justify the name change with the original marriage license. Or you have the option to provide a certified copy as well.

To submit the application, you can mail it or take it to your nearest Social Security office. To find an office near you, I’ll link their locator here. Please note all documents will be returned to you.

U.S. Passport Book

The process to obtain an updated passport book is quite simple. Here is what you need to know:

  • Complete the DS-82 Form. You must qualify for this form by answering “yes” to the questions located at the top section of page one. Be sure to read the instructions carefully to avoid delays, or rejections.
  • Take a new passport photo. Be sure to follow the strict guidelines on how to take a passport photo to avoid delays, or rejections.
  • Gather the below listed documents and go to the local post office to mail them to the National Passport Processing Center (refer to page 3 of the DS-82 Form for mailing instructions):
    1. A completed DS-82 Form
    2. One recent color photograph, 2×2 inches in size
    3. Current U.S. Passport
    4. Certified copy of marriage license
    5. Create a personal check or money order in the amount of $130, payable to the “U.S. Department of State”. Print your full name and date of birth on the front. Again, be sure to read the instructions carefully to avoid delays, or rejections.

According to my local post office, the only option was to mail the above-mentioned items through priority mail. I paid less than $10 for this service.

To track your passport application status, head over to this website.

The normal processing time for a new U.S. passport book is about 4 to 6 weeks. However, to my surprise, my new passport came in about three weeks later. (This was without expediting the service.) My new passport came in the mail first and then later I received my old passport and marriage license. Just in time for my summer trips!

Final Thoughts

I hope this blog post serves as a guide on how to change your last name after marriage. You may be dragging your feet right now, but the sooner you get these things done, the better you will feel. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out. You can email me at or send a DM on Instagram.


Leave a Reply