Happy, happy April! I would like to begin this blog post by welcoming the new faces around here. In case we have yet to meet (or have a conversation), please do not hold back from saying hello. I love connecting with people and shyness does not hold me back these days.
Since it is the beginning of a new month, I’d like to share a little bit more about me (also click here for more). At the beginning of this year, I shared 13 random facts on Instagram (IG) but since I was on a limited word count, I decided a blog post would be great to expand on these random tidbits.
- When I first moved to Houston, I didn’t know any girls my age. I am the type of person who loves to engage in deep and meaningful conversations so I decided it was time for a change. I did some research and discovered Hey! VINA, an app designed to meet girlfriends in your city. The process of matching with a girly with the same interests was worth the wait. It wasn’t long before I met someone and we decided to meet. We went for frozen yogurt and chatted for over two hours. Last year, we brought along our husbands to one of our dates and had a great time. It is pretty cool to say we remain friends. She will soon embark on a new journey called motherhood and could not be more excited for her!
- Back in 2015, I tried to begin a blog so I turned my personal IG account into soniasglamdiary. I turned out to be inconsistent, and therefore, unsuccessful. I had no strategy, but at the same time, wasn’t trying to pursue blogging as a full-time career. (I did not know it was possible at the time.) A year later, I decided to try again. After all, people were constantly asking about my outfits I’d wear to work. Also, by this time, I was very intrigued by the blogging world. I was curious to know how these fashionistas were turning their blogs into full-time careers. Since I was serious about blogging this time, I created a website and renamed IG account to missprofresh. Not even a few weeks later, I got engaged. I was caught up in a storm of wedding planning and a new position at work; my blogging dreams fell to the bottom of my priority list again. In 2017, after the wedding, I was inspired to begin blogging again. By this time, a particular blogger I was following since the beginning of her journey was making major strides in her fashion career – her IG handle is @dressupbuttercup. Third time’s a charm, right? I took the chance to rebrand so I went from missprofresh to mrsprofresh – new site, IG, Twitter, and Facebook accounts.
- In 2011, I went overseas for the very first time to study abroad in Hong Kong and China. It was the most memorable experience of my life. I could go on for days talking about this trip. One of the main reasons it was so memorable is because it was where I celebrated my 21st birthday – a milestone birthday. I still recall my friends singing Happy Birthday at one of the peaks of the Great Wall of China. During the trip, I also went to H&M for the first time. You may think it’s not a big deal but it was for some of my friends on the trip; they thought it was mind-blowing I hadn’t heard of H&M. I guess this is what happens when you’re from a small town.
- I graduated from high school at 16, just before my 17th birthday! I had no idea this was going to happen, but it did, so I ran with it. I jumped straight into community college, and two years later, decided to attend the University of North Texas (UNT). I was super indecisive about my major, but my deep passion for fashion, drifted me to North Texas. I know it sounds super cliché but I was on the pursuit of a fashion career (thanks to Lauren Conrad). If I hadn’t gone to UNT, I would’ve attended Texas A&M University and would’ve majored in Architecture or Business. In the end, I ended up going with my gut and got a degree in Fashion Merchandising and minor in Marketing. If you’ve read the About Me section of the blog, you know I didn’t end up in the Fashion industry after graduation. This is where my blog comes into play, it is my way of expressing my love for clothes and sharing ways to style your everyday look.
- My husband and I met in second grade and he made it known he had a huge crush on me. I cannot exaggerate this part – just ask our hometown friends. We eventually became friends my senior year in college and we remained that way until we decided to date each other. This man was patient, persistent, and determined; he knew exactly what he wanted and didn’t stop until he got it. If you ask me, he unconsciously used The Law of Attraction because I’m his wife now! How else would you explain the reunion between a girl who lived in Dallas and was determined on moving there after graduation and a boy who lived in Houston and had his mind set on not moving? What can I say, we fell for each other. He truly makes me the happiest girl on earth and my life wouldn’t be the same without him. He brings out the best in me and I hope I do the same for him. Every single day I wake up excited about our current projects and future life together. I am proud of him and feel blessed to be his wife. I’d marry him over and over again.
- I truly love all things zen: yoga, meditation, essential oils, white noise, and nature. Did I leave something out?! Let a girl know! Besides my faith, I think these are the top things that help me function in this world and prevent me from going insane. Maybe one day I’ll become a yoga teacher and open a yoga studio. This world is filled with possibilities.
- I’m always up for trying new things, food, places, etc. As long as these new adventures don’t go against my beliefs, values or morals, I AM ALL IN. There is not much to add to this statement. You just learned I am willing to meet new girlfriends via an app – limits do not exist.
- I believe in all the vibes – positive and negative. I value positivity in my life and will protect it at all costs. My life is so much happier without the negative stuff and Marie Kondo has really taught me to live my life by enjoying the things that bring me joy. Also, I realized I am not that crazy after all. She encourages people to speak to inanimate objects, which is something I’ve always done since I lived alone for three years. You’ll have to read the book to understand what I am referring to.
- The first time I rode in a plane was when I was 18 years old. We went on a family vacation to California and had the best time. I thought I was going to move there eventually to pursue my fashion dream. It is easy to say that ever since this trip I’ve been addicted to traveling. I’ve been blessed to travel to China, Hong Kong, Dubai, London, France, Italy, Spain, Costa Rica, Mexico, and a few states in the US.
- I sucked at writing growing up, I always got 2’s (out of 4) on my writing essays. Ironic since I have a blog, right? I know I am not the best writer, but I will say this, it feels pretty amazing to surpass my own expectations. It is not always easy, but with hard work, everything is possible.
- I am somewhat of an amateur artist. I’ve always been the creative type but I did not discover my real talent behind the brush/charcoal until I took a required course at UNT. It was a required course because I was convinced I wanted to be a Fashion Designer to live my wildest fashion dreams in LA. If you haven’t guessed it by now, I ended up changing majors. I went from Fashion Design to Fashion Merchandising.
- Speaking of school, if I could go back now to pick another major, I would choose Artificial Intelligence. Technology fascinates me on every level! TechCrunch is my source for the latest and greatest tech things.
- Believe it or not, I taught myself how to speak and write Portuguese via YouTube. Well, I found an instructor and studied his videos. I am not an expert but I can hold a beginner level conversation. It also helped to have Brazilian friends. It would be a dream to move to Brazil for three months and become fluent. Their culture, food, and people, are all amazing.
That is a wrap for today. If you found one thing to be relatable, I’d love to know what it is. Beginning this month, you can expect three blog posts per week: Monday’s, Wednesday’s, and Friday’s. Also, I will continue sharing #profreshfridaypicks on Friday’s, these are picks ideal for the workplace.
Hope you have an awesome rest of the day and thanks so much for reading!