I think we can agree that we’ve been targeted with Getaway ads on Instagram (or Facebook) within the last year. At least I was. After much contemplation, I finally caved. Here is everything you need to know about our Getaway House experience.
Getaway started in 2015. Founder, Jon Staff, grew up in Minnesota and enjoyed spending time outdoors. After leaving his demanding startup job, he left the city in a 26′ Airstream trailer to reflect. During his travels, he was reminded how much the outdoors meant to him. He also realized that nature played an important role in our overall wellbeing, productivity, and happiness. Hence, launching the Getaway experience.
With over 15 locations, and counting, there’s probably a Getaway House near you. Below is a map of current locations.
What to Expect
I had to refrain myself from calling this a camping trip because when you have access to a toilet, shower, AC/heater, mini fridge, a comfortable queen bed, and a small dining space, it is not camping, haha. It was definitely a glamping experience – and you know what? I wasn’t mad about it. There isn’t one thing that fascinates me about sleeping in a tent or using the ladies room in the woods. No, thanks.
So here is what you can expect – a few days before your stay, you should receive a text reminding you about your upcoming stay. You will also receive the access code to the cabin via text 30 minutes before the check-in time of 3 p.m.. Additionally, you will get an email with information about the cabin and area. They will provide details and resources that should be helpful. I highly encourage you to read the email because it will let you know everything there is to know about the cabin. For example, each cabin includes almost everything you will need such as salt, pepper, olive oil, pots, pans, cooking utensils, shower products, bath towels, etc. This list helped me plan what to pack and what not to pack.
For a complete list of what’s included in each Getaway House, I highly encourage you to check out their FAQs page here.
Quick little side note – they do charge small fees for coffee, tea, firewood, and fire starters. Also, there is no Wi-Fi and cell service is weak, or nonexistent.
About the Brazos Valley Location, Closest to Houston
The Getaway outpost closest to Houston is in Navasota, TX. The one hour drive was pretty straightforward from Downtown Houston. Twenty minutes before arriving to our final destination, we made a mandatory stop at Buc-ee’s to buy water, firewood, etc. After our quick pit stop, we continued our drive to the Brazos Valley outpost.
It was fairly easy to find our little cabin, Lloyd. (Each Getaway House had a name.) Lloyd was tucked away on Sonny’s Loop, which was surprisingly filled with other tiny cabins. (I don’t know why but I had the impression our cabin would be isolated in the woods.) It is safe to say you are not alone and isolated. In fact, you may see your neighbors through the trees, or their dog may end up on your side of town, like our neighbors’ dog did. (It was a cutie French Bulldog, who only came over to poop on our driveway. The audacity, lol.)
As you can see from the photos, the cabin is equipped with everything you need. The design and layout of the space was efficient and thoughtful. From the cubbies to store things, to the bench that serves as a place to sit, or climb onto the bed, I mean Jon had the vision and executed.
Also, there is a “cellphone lockbox” to store your phone inside and forget about it. The whole point is to be present, enjoy everything nature has to offer, and spend quality time with yourself, or significant other(s). Depending on the location you visit, you may encounter wildlife like we did 😉
Top 10 Getaway House Tips:
- Download (or print) the map/directions on how to arrive to your outpost ahead of time. You may have spotty service, or none at all, once you get closer to your destination.
- Take your own firewood and fire starters. The firewood bundles they provided were $6.50 per bundle, which wasn’t expensive to us, but we underestimated how much we would use. Even though we bought two large bags at Buc-ee’s, we ended up using it all plus what they had available. Also, the fire starters were really helpful. Highly, highly recommend.
- Pack a flashlight as a backup because the rechargeable lantern the cabin has available just wasn’t enough light.
- Plan your meals ahead of time so you know exactly what to pack. The last thing you want to do is interrupt your quiet weekend with a trip to the nearest gas station for an ingredient you forgot to pack.
- Pack water, especially if you are a tea or coffee drinker. Jose didn’t pack enough water so guess what? We had to go to buy more water at Buc-ee’s.
- If you plan to drink, don’t forget the essentials for a possible hangover.
- The Getaway house did come with a first aid kit but to be honest, I didn’t open it to check what was included. Therefore, if you need specific items for a possible injury, pack those things.
- Unless you want to pay $2.50 for a coffee/tea each time your little heart desires one, pack your own coffee/tea. The coffee they had was really yummy and easy to make.
- Pack your favorite board and card games. We played this card game that’s designed for couples. We bonded over discussions we hadn’t had in a while and it gave us the opportunity to ask questions we hadn’t asked before.
- Check the weather ahead of time and plan accordingly.
- Bonus Tip: S’mores hit different by a real fire – pack the goods to make them.
Our Getaway experience allowed us to spend quality time with each other. It was the perfect time to discuss our 2022 goals, ask questions we hadn’t asked before, learn about each other, and immerse ourselves in the natural beauty surrounding us. And yes, even after 11 years of friendship, there is always something to discover.
Also, I think it’s important to say that had I not booked our Getaway experience, who knows how much longer we would have gone without using our gift card. Sometimes you must interrupt your own life to put yourself first, and create space for quietness, relaxation, and mindfulness. Your future-self will thank you later.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, I am always happy to help! Simply send a DM on Instagram or email email@example.com <3
Pin me for later!
Ps. Check out my New Year’s message here.
One thought on “All About Our Getaway House Experience”
These look amazing!!! And the tips are helpful. Thanks so much!