If you google, “Free museums in Houston”, you’ll find many articles to choose from. I clicked through a few to ensure the information was consistent – and it was. I also went through each of the museum’s website to confirm everything coincided. And although you could just google and find out which museums are free, I still want to create a personalized guide for my audience.
I am a nerd for art. I love learning and immersing myself in the abstract. This is why I am committed to visiting all museums with free admission throughout the month of March. I will be updating this guide with brief summaries (and cool photos) as I visit each one so bear with me as this guide continues to develop.
For now, the below listed museums are always free during regular business hours:
- Asia Society Texas Center
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
- Houston Center for Photography
- Houston Museum of African American Culture
- The Jung Center
- Lawndale Art Center
- The Menil Collection: This place consists of five buildings and I’ve only visited the Main Building. I visited during spring break and noticed families with kids of all ages visiting too. The museum is minimalistic, the artwork is spaced and installed at eye level, and there are no audio tours. As a matter of fact, the wall text/labels for the artwork is also minimal. I fell in love with the outdoor area. The perfect place for a picnic before it is too hot and humid. I will definitely go back to visit the rest of the museum, the other buildings, the bistro, and the bookstore.
The below museums have specific free times with general admission only on Thursday’s:
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum: 1 – 5p
- Children’s Museum of Houston: 5 – 8p
- The Health Museum: 2 – 7p
- Houston Museum of Natural Science (my personal favorite): 2 – 5p
- The Museum of Fine Arts: 10a – 9p
Finally, the below museums have other free days/times:
- Czech Center Museum Houston: Free on the last Monday of the month from 10a – 4p
- Holocaust Museum: Free on Sunday’s from noon to 5p
I will be sharing a bit from each visit on IG stories and will create a new highlight called Museums. Thank you so much for reading – please share with someone who will dig this list of free museums.