We are 16 days in to the new year – have you taken the time to write down your goals? If not, here are 6 reasons why you should write down your goals.
Why is it important?
Writing down goals is important because it can help clarify what you truly want in life. The exercise of writing down your goals also helps you focus your attention on the intentions you set for yourself. Having a list of goals for every important area of your life also serves as a tangible reminder of what you are working towards. And in my opinion, there is nothing more powerful than seeing the promises you made to yourself every single day.
6 Reasons Why You Should Write Down Your Goals
- Provides clarity and focus: Writing down your goals helps to clarify and focus your intentions. When you put your goals in writing, you can better understand what you want to achieve and why it’s important to you.
- Serves as a tangible reminder: A written goal serves as a tangible reminder of what you’re working towards. It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of daily life, and a written goal can serve as a constant reminder to stay on track.
- Increases accountability: Writing down your goals holds you accountable for achieving them. When you commit your goals to paper, you are taking a step towards accountability, and more likely to follow through on them.
- Measures progress: A written goal allows you to track your progress and make adjustments as needed. By regularly reviewing your goals, you can see how far you’ve come and what you need to do next to achieve them.
- Helps with motivation: Writing down your goals activates the brain’s reward centers, which can increase motivation to achieve them. Research has found that people who write down their goals are 33% more successful in achieving them than those who do not.
- Helps with discipline: Writing down goals and creating a plan to achieve them can lead to higher levels of self-regulation, which is an important factor in goal attainment. Each time you take a look at that list of goals, you are most likely to think twice about specific things that drive you away from achieving your goals.
After writing down your goals, place the list in a prominent place. Next, add daily, weekly, and monthly reminders to do check-ins with yourself. Each day, week, and month, you should be tracking your progress to ensure you are working towards your goals.
To take it a step further, share your goals with someone that will hold you accountable. Ask them to check-in with you on a regular basis to help track your progress. And watch how powerful this will be.
Oh, and if you actually take the time to write down your goals this year, welcome to the small club of amazing individuals who are proactive about this. Believe it or not, a very small percentage of the population takes time to write down their goals.
Cheers to seizing the new year and here’s to writing our 2023 goals! It is never too late.
Ps. If you are on a mission to improving your life this year, head over to this list. I included some of my favorite personal development books.